Steakhouses are among the most frequented dining establishments. The really good ones are often booked and it’s almost impossible to get a table without a reservation. You’d have to book weeks or months in advance if you want to dine at the most popular steakhouse in a particular city or town. When you call them for a dinner reservation, you may be told they’re fully booked for the night. Still, there are ways to get around those difficulties, with the following tips:
- Get a reservation far in advance. This is in fact among the most reliable ways to score a reservation. Don’t just get a reservation a week or so in advance. Try to think ahead and get a reservation months ahead of time. This is certainly possible when you’re planning to celebrate a birthday or graduation. At least you know the chances are good that you won’t change plans.
- Ask help from your hotel concierge. This works for tourists only if they ask for assistance regarding a particular steakhouse. These places tend to have cultivated relationships with restaurants in the area, and they may be able to help you obtain that reservation you want.
- Ask to speak to the general manager. Just do this politely. In fact, always be polite especially when you’re asking for something. In this case, be very polite and check if you can talk to the general manager. You can then do some very courteous pleading on your part. You can succeed if there’s a very compelling reason, such as honoring a war veteran who’s just come home or a grandma from out of state who’s visiting your family.
It’s said that this can work about 33% of the time. Just cite a special reason, and make sure you’re very courteous.
- Sit in the bar area. If you’re not able to score a reservation and yet you’re determined to try, just sit in the bar area. You may just get lucky if there’s somehow a free table. Also, it may be possible for you to be served in the bar area though you may have to wait a while.
- Try a lunch reservation.If you’re really set on a particular restaurant, you don’t really need to get a dinner reservation to try out their steak. If they’re open for lunch, try to get a lunch reservation instead. This may be more likely. Also, most of the time, the prices are even lower. On the other hand, do expect that the selection may be limited.
- Have your food delivered to you. If the real point is for you to enjoy their delicious steak, then you don’t have to dine in that steakhouse at all. Some steakhouses don’t deliver, though you can try some apps that pick up the food and bring it to you like
- Give a generous tip.OK for the record, this doesn’t always work but it doesn’t hurt to try. We’ve tried this trick a couple of times in steakhouses in Las Vegas and it worked more times than it didn’t. In any case, give it a try and you may be able to get a table.
The next time you’re turned away when you try to get a reservation at your favorite steakhouse, remember that no doesn’t have to mean no. You can always try something to get that reservation you want, even if it is the most popular steakhouse in town.